Sunday, February 19, 2012

Garden Prep

Today I'm going to start preparing my raised beds for spring. Yesterday I went to Lowes and got some landscaping timbers, and nails. Now were going to get all my feed bags out of the barn and were going to lay them out and begin. Here's the instructions if you'd like to build your own.
First you'll need 8 landscaping timbers. Second you'llneed 12 nails. They need to be big enough to drive through two landscaping timbers. And thirdly you'll need a form of weed preventative. You can buy it in the store or you can use newspaper. But I will be using my old feedbags that are lying in my barn floor. First you lay out four landscaping timbers in a perfect square. Next you will lay out your bags within the square. It's best to cut one side and spread them open. Make sure you tuck them under the edges of the timbers. Once that's complete lay your other four timbers on the previous four and overlap the corners. Then hammer three nails into each corner. This will prevent them from sliding around. Now when you're ready you can add your compost. Just toss it on top of the feed bags and spread it out. When its time to plant this spring your garden bed will be ready. I am thinking of a way to cover it for those cold nights that surprise us. I will post about that if I figure it out. I'm thinking of using pvc pipes and plastic sheeting, kind of like a green house. I haven't quite figured it all out yet. Well take a look at the pics below. I hope this was informative enough.





No comments:

Post a Comment