Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Get Your Gardens Ready

It's getting to be that time of year again. I'm getting my garden ready for planting. I also planted some potatoes today. I found an article on YouTube about planting potatoes in buckets. Well I decided to use a garbage can. I cut holes in the bottom and then I filled it about a quarter of a way full and buried my potatoes, sprouts up. As it grows I will add more soil to it. Later you just turn the garbage can over and dump them out. It should be full of potatoes. Or if you choose you can just dig them out. I can't wait to see if this works. I hope it does because we eat a lot of potatoes I plan on getting a couple more garbage cans and planting red potatoes and sweet potatoes. I love gardening but I don't really get a lot of sunshine except for one small area that I can plant a garden so I'm all for ingenuity. I love learning new ways to garden in a small area. I also like to can my veggies and fruit. There's just something about growing your own food that I like. I feel pride in knowing that I grew something that I can feed my family. This year I plan on planting tomatoes, bellpeppers, cucumbers, squash, potatoes, onions, cabbage only because the school sent one home for a scholarship competition. My daughter is determined to win. The kid who grows the biggest cabbage wins a scholarship. So we are going to grow cabbage this year.  I will be adding another raised bed this year so I can grow okra, peas and possibly corn if there's room. My daughter loves corn. I know it won't be much but were a small family of three. I think it will be enough for us. I will grow some things in big pots and I'm going to try to grow some watermelons out by the branch. I can't grow a garden there because it sometimes floods but I may chance it to grow watermelon. Who knows I haven't decided yet. Good Friday will be here before you know it. Get ready gardeners!
Country Mama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-s1U-W510k&feature=youtube_gdata_player




No comments:

Post a Comment