Thursday, March 10, 2016

Chicken Tractor

With all the talk of bird flu lately, not to mention how easy it is for chickens to get attacked by predators, its a good idea to keep your chickens in a pen.  Still some of us believe free range is better, so in order to keep chickens safe while still letting them move around freely on fresh ground day after day, somebody came up with the idea of a chicken tractor.  It may not seem like it after looking at all the different plans of chicken tractors, but it is actually very easy to build one.  You can even build it from scrap wood as I did or you can buy all the supplies brand new. You can modify it as you want, change it as you find some things you like or don't like as I have or you can simply build it just like mine and leave it that way.
I used three 2x2s, one slightly longer than the other two.  One 16 foot long 1x4, I cut into five pieces.  Four of those five pieces should be 3 feet and the other should be 4 feet.  I also used an old piece of shelving board.  I'll explain that in detail in a minute but first let me tell you how to put the pieces I've already told you about together.
Egg door made from scrap wood
You will want to lay the three 2x2s out.  2 of them are 7 1/2 feet long while the one in the middle is 8 feet long.  The middle piece is going to go at the top.  Your going to piece this all together in a triangle shape, as known as an A-frame. Take your four shorter 4x4s and attach two at each end.  Remember it will form a triangle or a-frame all the way through.  On one end the top, middle 2x2 will hang over as it's longer than the others.  Now on one end of the triangle you will take you longer 1x4 and attach it to the bottom.  I did this on the end that i had the 2x2 sticking out further.  Next you will get your shelving board and on the opposite end you will cut it to fit.  The first piece of shelving board was 4 feet long and 12 inches wide.  The next piece you will not nail or screw down as you will attach it with hinges to the bottom board.  The third piece goes above the one with the hinges.  It will be screwed into the 1x4s on each side.  Then attach a latch to it to keep the door closed.  Just inside of the shelving boards I have attached a nest box.  I only used one, but two may fit.  Next you will want to attach a roosting pole from one end of the pen to the other.  Oh I forgot the wire.  You will want to get a roll of good wire.  I bought chicken netting but if you want them to really be protected from wild animals, I would go with the small mesh wire that everyone uses in rabbit pens.  
The 1x4 is not screwed into place yet but here is where the tin will open up so you can reach inside. 
The tin is propped up so the chickens can get some sun.
You'll want to have your staple gun ready and pull the wire as tight as you can get it. This might be a good time to call in a helper.  Put a lot of staples.  I put them every other hole, all the way around my pen, with the exception of the end with the shelving board.  I did cut the wire out about half way up on one of the long sides.  Here a screwed in a 7 foot 1x4 and stapled the wire to it on the inside.  Now you have an opening above this board across the entire side of your pen.  Here you will use tin cut to fit the opening and overlap the 1x4 you just put up.  I used another sheet of tin on the opposite side of the pen that covers that entire side.  Yes I know I have wire there but I will explain why I did this in just a minute.  I screwed both pieces of tin in at the top, letting them slightly overlap one another.  Now here's what thinking is for the opposite side with the wire and the larger piece of tin.  I wanted to be able to keep the cold wind off of them in the fall and winter.  During this time of the year I can turn this side to the north and block the north wind.  With both sides having tin over the top, they will be protected from the rain as well but this doesn't allow for a lot of sun, so I use two tomato sticks to lift the tin up on the side with the larger piece of tin.  This way they can get sun during the warmer months when they are laying.  Over the nest box I have hung an old piece of wool from an old horse blanket to keep it dark even when the tin is up.
Here you can see the piece of wool hanging over the nest box.
Chickens like it dark where they lay.  I may even hang a piece of material around it like a curtain to make it darker.  One more suggestion for this pen that I haven't done myself is that you may want put wire in the bottom to keep things from digging under.  I didn't do this myself but I am considering doing it later.
Here I've lifted the tin up so I can reach inside and put my hens in the pen.
Here's my girls in their new home.  The nest box is at the back.
It ain't the prettiest chicken tractor but it'll do for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment